Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My New Lawnmower

Meet my new lawnmower, the Brill Razorcut 33. I ordered it last week and found it waiting for me on monday on my porch.

Opening the box, I was a little confused due the instructions being primarily in German, and the english translation left a little to be desired. Turns out it takes only 5 minutes (even for a dumbass like me) to assemble and start mowing, no tools required.

First impressions on the lawn: I was very surprised how light it is, it weighs in at 15 pounds. Its honestly light as a feather to push around. The way the blades work, the rotating set of blades comes within 1 mm of the back bar, but never actually touches it, much like a really good pair of scissors. This means its not hard to push around and mow with. Trust me, I have used one in someones yard when I was a kid, and it was a bitch to push, and this is a complete 180. It couldn't be easier.

My grass was long.... I mean real long. Weeds and shit everywhere too. I don't have some putting green style lawn at all, its bumpy, full of crabgrass and creeping charlie, just generally in poor shape all around. I was still able to mow my lawn one handed, while talking on the phone to my mom. Its really that quiet and easy. I was shocked.

Surely, it can't all be rosy, you say. Well, I can think of a couple downsides. You need to clear the lawn of all sticks and any other debris. Gas mowers can usually power through sticks and clumps of weeds you pulled from the garden and left in the lawn, but not this guy. It cuts the lawn shorter than gas mowers, which I have come to understand is actually a healthy thing when cutting via this method vs whacking at the grass with spinning blades and shearing it off. Also, I had to make 2 passes over most of the lawn because of this fact, but now I have a pretty nice, short lawn.

Overall, I am super happy with my new mower. I never have to change the oil or fill it with gas... The blades need sharpening every 7 to 10 years, so I really have no maintenance, no winterizing, no pull-starting. Best of all, its super quiet, easy, and your shoes don't even turn green!

No comments: